Consumer unit advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm installing a new hob and want to connect it to its own RCD in the CU. The only spare space in the CU is on the right side where all the lights are. Can I put in a 32amp RCD in that space?
Thanks
H

Sponsored Links
Picture plz

I suspect you are confusing terms.
Rcd usually the double width things with test buttons

Picture plz

I suspect you are confusing terms.
Rcd usually the double width things with test buttons

Yeah you're right, sorry. I mean that there's a space for an MCB (if that's the correct term) on the set of switches on the right of the CU, all of which have an RCD

Here's a pic

Attachments

• Consumer Unit Katherine's place.jpg
    Consumer Unit Katherine's place.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 341
Sponsored Links
Fitting an Mcb in there will not be rcd protected. Does it really matter? Not really.

You could fit a Hager rcbo 32A in there to meet requirements

What is that switched off 32A MCB to the right of the space for?
It was an electric shower but that's coming out actually. We're hoping to put the hob in there instead, I was asking if it's ok to do that, you know, given that the others on that side are lighting. It already seemed odd to me to have a big shower connected there. So if I take that out, is it ok to have a hob there instead on a 32MCB?

It would be alright.

What is the switched off 32A MCB fourth from the left for?

What I am getting at is - do you not already have a 'cooker' circuit?

What is the switched off 32A MCB fourth from the left for?
What I am getting at is - do you not already have a 'cooker' circuit?

Good question, it doesn't appear to be connected to anything! So we can use that space, but we were planning to run a separate new feed for the boiler from there.

Qualified Sparky?
I would guess referring to Part P requirements?
A somewhat unclear question, I would say!

Kind Regards, John
I would agree I am an electrician however since my domestic work was before 2004 and mainly commercial I have never joined a scheme, was a member of the IET etc, but not one of the schemes, so being qualified has nothing to do with being a scheme member and being able to self certify.

As to if there is a need is another question, yes here in Wales work in a kitchen would require notification, but phase new circuit means to my English there was never a circuit from that tag on the consumer unit before, and that is near impossible to prove, domestic electrics don't leave the paper trail you find with commercial, so it gets rather pointless asking. Not even the LABC seem to keep records so all rather pointless it is just a tax.

So question seems to have been answered, a RBCO would satisfy IET/BSi requirement for additions to a circuit but a MCB can only be used if no new buried wiring or sockets are added, so in real terms can't use a MCB on the non RCD protected side of the consumer unit it must be a RCBO, an oven would need a type AC but an induction hob may need a type A but to be frank I have not fitted a type A, and it is unclear if breaking any rules fitting type AC plus in my case type A are not available for my board, and it was not until a lot latter I thought about which type had been fitted, and I do wonder does it really matter? I have seen one boiler with instructions which say use type A not seen any other domestic appliance which stipulates the type. Only car charging points seem to stipulate the RCD type.

However as an electrician we know we should test the ELI, and RCD tripping times, which to be far the paper work with my RCBO's does say test with a calibrated meter 0.5IΔn RCBO will not trip etc, so anyone buying a new RCBO or RCD is aware they need testing. However we also know a test set is likely to cost over £100 a quick look and around £50 to hire. As to if the DIY guy could actually use the equipment, that is unknown of course.

However if we keep asking these questions then is there any point in a DIY forum on electrics? I would say it is not our responsibility to consider if the person is breaking the law unless they ask the question, the RCBO I fitted has as the last instruction on the instruction leaflet
CP (Electric) Limited said:
If fault does not clear phone a qualified electrician to check installation
so clearly they expect there product will be installed by some one not considered as a qualified electrician.

Right. Wow. Thanks fellers.I've understood your responses and yes I reckon I can use the equipment. Am I confident enough to do it easily and second nature like you would? Nope. I spend a lot of time working it all out and thinking it through. And I'm relying on your advice to tell me what to fit. I appreciate that I'm as well to get it tested by someone experienced.
Thanks,
Helen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back