Kitchen wiring advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm looking to install a new induction hob and oven.
For the hob, it is 7kW and will be 5m from the CU. I assume it needs a 6mm cable and it's own 32amp MCB. Should it be a radial or a ring?
For the oven, it's 3kW and only 3m from the CU. Can it be on the main kitchen ring or does it need its own MCB? Again, if it's on its own MCB, is a radial sufficient?
Sorry for noddy questions. Thanks.
H

Sponsored Links
Only sockets have rings.

So hob is radial.

Sounds like oven would be good on in own radial if easy

For the hob, it is 7kW and will be 5m from the CU. I assume it needs a 6mm cable and it's own 32amp MCB.
4mm² will be adequate but everyone fits 6mm² because everyone fits 6mm².

Should it be a radial or a ring?
Radial.

For the oven, it's 3kW and only 3m from the CU. Can it be on the main kitchen ring or does it need its own MCB?
If it comes with a plug you can just plug it in, if not, you will need another circuit, or
it could be connected to the hob circuit.

Again, if it's on its own MCB, is a radial sufficient?
Yes.

Ring circuits are only used for sockets and are a British peculiarity. They are no longer required.

Got it. Thanks.
The oven spec says it can be either plugged in or hardwired so we can do either, although it would be no problem to have another circuit if that's better, so we'll do that.
I find your response interesting though, that if it's hard wired it needs another circuit, but not if it just plugs in. I always assumed that the requirement for another circuit was due to load, but it sounds like it's a regs thing.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I find your response interesting though, that if it's hard wired it needs another circuit, but not if it just plugs in. I always assumed that the requirement for another circuit was due to load, but it sounds like it's a regs thing.
It is load, i.e. too much for a plug, rather than the electrical regulations.

However, other regulations in the UK state if it can be plugged in to the normal socket circuit it should come with a moulded plug already fitted.
You can then cut off the plug if you want to connect it another way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back