Tripping MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 6mm cable running from my fuse box to a the electric oven and induction hob. This was all installed before I moved in two years ago.

We have nnoticed that when the oven is on and the hob has 3 rings on near full or both ovens are on (its a double oven) and say 2 rings are on near full the MCB cuts the power. The MCB is 16amp, am I right in thinking this should be a 32amp and this may be the problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the mcb is undersized anyhow -it's tripping on overload

you might need to investigate the circuit fully before deciding to up it

Thanks, its been a bit of a house of horrors when it comes to electrics, survey came back perfect, but i've had the ring main twisted together and burried in walls, twisted and wrapped in insulating tape under the floor and to top it off the 9.5kw electric shower was wired using 2.5!

Sponsored Links
What survey? Did you have a periodic inspection report carried out on the wiring? If you didn't you really should get one done asap, I know you have found things which you know to be incorrect or dangerous but what about things that you dont know are wrong?

Hi John
I had a full survey done when I purchased the house but not a electrical survey. Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing and I know the new regs from 2005 but its a shocker what people do with no knowledge what so ever about electrics. I can only assume they like cold showers!

I'm no electrician but there are basic priciples that need to be followed what ever you do, if you don't know them then get someone who does in.

Since purchase I have replaced the 'joins' in the wall (in fact they have been taken out completely and ran under the floor as they should be) / under the floor and on the 1st floor with new cable, the shower now has 10mm. The ground was rewired and new kitchen fitted in 2006 so i'm hoping that they knew what they were doing and did it properly, though the start of this thread does not fill me with confidence!

Kitchen fitters often did alot of electrics and I have seen more bad jobs done by them than good. Dont get me wrong, not all are bad, but alot seem to be based on my experience. Seriously, a PIR would be a sensible thing to get done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back