Consumer unit/breakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home was built in 1997.

Over the past month the consumer unit has occasionally tripped out after the oven (installed in 2008) has been in use for a while.
My first thought was a fault with the oven itself, but then surely that would cause the breaker to trip straight away?

Given the last statement & the fault being intermittent is it possible that the breaker(s) themselves can become overly sensitive with age?
nb. the oven has it's own breaker within the CU, but it's the main one that trips.

Thanks for reading all.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that "by the main one" you will be referring to an RCD that protects several circuits and not an MCB. The clue is that the RCD has a test button.

If that is the case, failure of the oven element does frequently cause tripping that appears random as the element heats up, or moisture is produced inside the oven as the food cooks.

Use the forums search facility and search RCD and Oven, and you will see how common it is.

I suspect that "by the main one" you will be referring to an RCD that protects several circuits and not an MCB. The clue is that the RCD has a test button.

If that is the case, failure of the oven element does frequently cause tripping that appears random as the element heats up, or moisture is produced inside the oven as the food cooks.

Use the forums search facility and search RCD and Oven, and you will see how common it is.
Yes indeed it's the RCD I was referring to, excuse my amateur explanation :unsure:
Many thanks for the prompt reply, I will browse the search facility over the weekend & if necessary get an engineer in to check out the oven.

Mineral insulated cables need sealing on the ends, most oven elements are mineral insulated, once water gets in once, it will do it again, so likely needs a new element.

Sponsored Links
Mineral insulated cables need sealing on the ends, most oven elements are mineral insulated, once water gets in once, it will do it again, so likely needs a new element.
Thank you for that info.
Inspection by an engineer being booked now, wouldn't be surprised if it's an element problem as 'ere indoors has been complaining recently that the oven tends to cook 'unevenly'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back