Consumer unit in Garden Room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi want to run power to my garden room and an electrician has said i need a small consumer unit in the garden room which would be fed from a fused spur in my house is this right. It will be running between 4 and 6 13amp sockets and 3 Led light fittings too. A 1.5kw 13amp portable heater will be plugged into one socket when its cold.

Sponsored Links
You do not need a consumer unit in the room.

You only have a 13A supply so just connect the sockets to the cable.

A Fused Connection Unit with 3A fuse can be used for the lighting cable(s) and a Switched one used to control the lights if you are only having one switch.

There must be an RCD on the socket circuit in the house.

You do not need a consumer unit in the room.

You only have a 13A supply so just connect the sockets to the cable.

A Fused Connection Unit with 3A fuse can be used for the lighting cable(s) and a Switched one used to control the lights if you are only having one switch.

There must be an RCD on the socket circuit in the house.
Thanks so is the fused connection unit in the garden room or house. They are smart led lights so probably not having a switch. So what about the fused connection for the sockets.

Thanks so is the fused connection unit in the garden room or house.
In the garden connected to the socket circuit.

They are smart led lights so probably not having a switch.
Ok. but you will still need the FCU for the light circuit. You may as well have a switched one.

So what about the fused connection for the sockets.
There will be one in the house if installed as you stated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back