Consumer Unit installation and sign-off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I posted a question yesterday - thanks for your responses, I have 'copied and pasted' the following to set the scene for this particular question

"Next week I have an electrician attending my residential property to fit a new consumer unit and certify a new kitchen ring/appliance circuit and kitchen lighting. Prior to arranging the work, he made a brief survey visit, during which he advised that he was in acceptance with me undertaking some ‘Donkey Work’ myself to reduce costs. This included installing back boxes, and the installation of wiring and connection of all double gang socket outlets, fused spurs and flex outlets, but leaving front plates loosely screwed to enable inspection."

As you can see there is effectively two parts to the job, installing the consumer unit and certifying the kitchen ring.

Can anyone advise as to whether he is obliged to test/certify the remainder of the house (i.e all other rooms in addition to the kitchen) as part of the installation of the new consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
The electrician will be effectively changing every circuit so will test off every circuit and do a Zs for each of them - or at least I hope he will.

Many Thanks for your response, what inspection/measurements should I expect him to do as part of the signing off of the rest of the house? Would he for example:-

1. Lift floorboards to visually check routing of cables in ceiling voids?
2. Remove a percentage of socket outlets to check terminations etc?
3. Would he review all earth bonding etc?

Thanks

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
He is altering the existing circuits (by changing protective devices), not installing them, so he will be be doing a full set of electrical tests on every circuit to ensure that its still safe, as well as as much of an inspection as is reasonably practicable, don't expect him to have to lift floorboards unless he discovers problems, minor issues will be noted as existing defeats, larger ones will be fixed or left disconnected (as consulted between the two of you)

Bathroom bonding would be checked by a glance whereever possibvle (it should be accessable, followed up by measurement)

Main bonding will be ispected and measured definatly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back