2nd consumer unit (dedicated for kitchen)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have trawled the forums but cannot find an answer to this, possibly because its obvious (and I am not that great with electrics).

I am planning a kitchen refit, and will have a dedicated consumer unit installed in kitchen, for all kitchen appliances. The electric oven will be connected to the consumer unit on its own ring.

My query is, in this situation, would the kitchen consumer unit be wired back to the main consumer unit, or back to the meter?

Due to different locations, it would be easier if kitche consumer unit is wired to the main consumer unit.

Many thanks for any replies that can assist with my planning!

Sponsored Links
I am not that great with electrics).

By the content of your post Charlie I do agree with you on your above statement

This job is beyond your abilities it needs a Qualified Electrician and by law it is notifiable work to you local council via their Building Control department..Google "Part P" for guidance mate 1

You haven't found an answer because fitting a consumer unit in a kitchen just for the circuits in that kitchen is a fundamental design error.

If the existing CU has spare capacity, use that.

If the existing CU is too small or not suitable, install another one next to it, preferably with sufficient space in so that the other circuits in the property can be moved into it later.

If in England or Wales, it's all notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
Because it's being designed by someone who's not that great with electrics.....

Charlie - just get a qualified electrician to take care of the electrical aspects of your new kitchen.

for all we know it's a big frikin house with a 3 phase supply and each section has it's own board..
1 for kitchen, 1 for downstairs and garden, 1 for first floor and attic..

he also doesn't say he's going to be doing it.. he's just planning it out..

That doesn't explain why he thinks the cooker should be on a ring, and it begs the questions why hasn't the kitchen already got its own CU, and why is there a main CU?

Cheers for the responses so far, appreciate the need to either go through LABC, or a Part P sparky who will both perform and certify the work! But let's not have that conversation here!

The property is undergoing a lot of refurbishment, and eventually the original consumer unit will be moved from its current position. So a 2nd CU in the kitchen will help on that side of things (kitchen is being refurbished first), as there will be less wiring to be moved.

Ring circuit for electric oven, what I mean is the electric oven will be wired to the kitchen CU, independently of the wiring that will be used for the kitchen's plugs.

long trip to the basement to turn the breakers back on on the 3 phase board? ;) decided a more local one would be easier?

cooker on a ring because he's not a sparky and is only planning where to put stuff not calculating all the electrical variables..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back