Consumer Unit Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an extension built & kitchen conversion etc & had one extra ring main added in 2.5mm^2 cable on a 32 amp breaker and a lighting circuit in 1.5mm^2 on a 6 amp breaker.

The sockets are only used for 2 lamps at 60 watts and a electrical fire which operates at 2.5kW up to 3kW and there are only 2 lights on the new circuit at 60 watts.

When the Electrical Fire is in use the consumer unit makes a buzzing sound but not from the new MCB's but the main 100 Amp breaker.

No MCB's have tripped and no cables have been melted etc.

The electrician involved has said most units do this when demand is high!

I have calculated that with most appliances on at the same time I don't get anywhere near 60 Amps

Is this true or should I get his ass back on the job?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It might be a good idea to talk to the technical people at the CU manufacturer? I've never heard a CU buzz.

CU's can buzz for many reasons, loose connections being the most common. All connections especially buzz bar connections should be fully tightened. Occasionally you will come across a breaker, which buzzes internally when in use however it is usually when a heavy load is placed on it. How loud is this buzzing? would you need to be standing directly in front of the CU to hear it? If this buzzing is significant, I would advise you to request that your electrician replace the 100A breaker. Is this new or if not, how old is it? Replacing this is a minor job, however as you are not authorised to remove the supplies main fuse and working on live apparatus is not recommended for a DIY man, I would not advise you to do it yourself?
In theory a domestic consumer unit should be completely silent when in use, however this is often not the case.

you can click the edit button, to change your own post, even after you have posted it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back