2 x 16 amp kitchen appliance on one 32amp mcb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Ive just purchased two new appliances by zanussi. A single pyro oven and a built in combination microwave. Both state they require 16 amp.

I have only one 32 amp mcb on consumer unit that I can use with no extra spaces. Can I run a 6mm T and E from the mcb on main unit and connect a 2 way mini unit with 2 16amp mcb and connect each appliance to its own 16 amp breaker? Or am I going to need a new main consumer unit with more space?

My current unit is about 25yrs old with mcb's, no rcd protection.

If I can put in a mini unit off the main 32 amp mcb it can be accessible in a cuboard above or below the appliances so would I still need a Seperate cooker switch putting in from each 16 amp breaker?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Will they be installed near each other, such that the flex from each can reach a common point? If so, you can feed that common point from your 32A mcb with 6mm t and e, most likely.

The mcb is to protect the cable, not the appliances.

Ask an electrician to price it for you. It sounds like a new circuit and is therefore notifiable.

The lack of existing rcd protection will need sorting for at least this new circuit.

Last edited:
These appliances. Is the current draw 16amps each, or do Zanussi specify that they must be protected by a 16amp fuse/MCB?

Thanks for the replies. Yes the microwave will be directlying above the oven. There is an existing circuit there from a previous oven that was installed that is protected by 32 amp mcb. Thats the one I want to use.

The current draw for each unit is 16amp.. I will have to check if the manufacturer specifies they must be protected each by a 16amp mcb.. I was assuming they would need to be.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Yes the microwave will be directlying above the oven. There is an existing circuit there from a previous oven that was installed that is protected by 32 amp mcb. Thats the one I want to use.

The current draw for each unit is 16amp.. I will have to check if the manufacturer specifies they must be protected each by a 16amp mcb.. I was assuming they would need to be.

So it's an existing circuit. It may well be that you can just change the existing cooker outlet to a dual connection type and connect the two new appliances into it with some flex.

The current draw for each unit is 16amp..
That's 17-24A in total.

I will have to check if the manufacturer specifies they must be protected each by a 16amp mcb.. I was assuming they would need to be.
They probably do say that. 16A is the standard rating for socket circuits in the land of the ovens' birth.

In theory appliances are not supposed to rely on the circuit protective device for their own internal protection, but in practice...

If they do stipulate a maximum breaker rating of 16A, write to them and ask them why.

Whatever the manufacturer says you don't have to follow it, especially if it is wrong.

Indeed - saying "If they do stipulate a maximum breaker rating of 16A..." wasn't very clever, was it, as a 1A would meet that requirement.

:confused::(o_O

Why do we keep having this same discussion?

It's European so they state 16A because they have 16A circuits protected by 16A MCBs and will have designed it to draw no more than 16A.
Even if it draws somewhat less than 16A they will still say the same.

Either way you can connect it to a 32A British cooker circuit.

If it draws less than 13A you can put a British plug on it if you want.

Because of the fan analogy.

Maybe, even if it shouldn't, it relies on the CPD for its own internal protection.

Because of the fan analogy. ... Maybe, even if it shouldn't, it relies on the CPD for its own internal protection.
I don't think its all that analogous. If it's designed for a market where it will usually (always?) be connected to a circuit protected by a 16A MCB, and if the equipment itself is deemed to require 16A 'internal protection', then it could be argued that a second 16A OPD in the equipment would be superfluous (and potentially 'inconvenient').

Whether such a product, without any internal protection, should be sold in the UK (where the CPD might well be 32A) is perhaps a different question.

Kind Regards, John

Apologies if I'm hijacking this post but as my question is pretty much the same, thought it pointless starting a new thread.

Just wanted clarification that it's ok to run a main oven rated at 3.45KW and an oven/microwave combination rated at 3.6KW from the same 6mm cable, protected by 32A breaker at the board.

Just wanted clarification that it's ok to run a main oven rated at 3.45KW and an oven/microwave combination rated at 3.6KW from the same 6mm cable, protected by 32A breaker at the board.
If the circuit has been designed and installed correctly (as hopefully will be the case), then yes.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the replies. I only picked the microwave up yesterday and checked.. it does state it should be fused with a 16 amp. The oven doesn't stipulate.. so I assume it would be best that they are run off individual 16 amp breakers.

So the 32amp mcb from main consumer unit has 6mm t&e to a 45amp double pole cooker switch. I'm going to put 6mm t&e from the cooker switch to a mini unit with two 16 amp breakers ( 1 to feed each appliance) in cupboard above or below ovens. And then 2.5mm t&e from each breaker to each appliance. Is This sufficient?

Also as my mains consumer unit does not have rcd protection should the mini unit I purchase have rcd protection ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back