SEPERATE CU SUPPLYING KITCHEN APPLIANCES

sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using a 4 way cu to supply Single oven/Microwave combi/Hob in a newly fitted kitchen.This is being fed from the main rcd controlled cu.The mcb's are 16/16/32 amp respectively.What size mcb do I need to use from the main cu to supply the secondary one.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What cable is supplying the 4 way consumer unit? You also need to find out what the maximum MCB size is available for your main consumer unit.

You have a total load of 64amps that could possibly be used at once but that is the level of over current protection rather than maximum load.

If you have 10mm T&E cable or larger fitted already then you can fit up to a maximum of a 60amp MCB.

I'd appreciate it if a Sparks could confirm this post. Also I don't think that diversity should be taken in to account here?

if its 10mm cable then i would use a 50A mcb (the next size a 63A would be pushign things a bit with the cable rating and i don't think you need it)

if its 6mm the maximum you can use is a 45A mcb

also if there is any form of switch (like a cooker control unit) before the 4 ways CU then you shouldn't use a breaker above the rating of the switch

it is certainly reasonable to apply some diversity to a cuircuit like this. wether it is reasonable to apply as much as the regs allow for is another matter.

what are the actual power ratings of the individual items?

It is 10mm from the main cu to the secondary one.
The power ratings are Hob-6.8kw / Oven 3.5kw / Microwave 3.6kw

Sponsored Links
13.9KW total
at 230V
60.43A
using the cooker diversity guidelines from the wiring regs (assuming no socket)
10+(50.43*.3)=25.13A
now most people here would probablly agree that the diversity guidelines for cooker cuircuits go a bit too far but i can't realistically see you haveing any trouble with a 45A or 50A cuircuit

discrimination is a sick joke in current domestic wiring anyway with the prevalence of mcbs and rcds.

we happilly put our rings on 32A breakers which in a low loop impedence situation will trip long before a plug fuse will!

and we put a single rcd covering all the sockets in the house all the time without a second thought!

how much does it really matter if in the event of one of the cooking appliances having a very serious fault it knocks out the other two for a couple of minuites? i would consider this a much smaller inconviniance than having a portable appliance fault knock off the ring with my PC on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back