16 amp mcb load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 16 amp mcb on my distribution board, which is currently only being used to power my combi boiler (3 amp fused connection unit) located in what is to become my utility room, no ring main for sockets is present. I would like to tap into the cable running to the fcu with a junction box and run two double sockets off it, one to provde power for a washing machine and tumble dryer and the other to be a spare for using an iron etc. My question is this - is the 16 amp mcb enough to support this load or should it be upgraded? Also the mcb is on the main switch side of my consumer board i.e not the rcd side, is this a problem?

Sponsored Links
Washing machine and tumble drier? Even on a 20amp circuit you are pushing your luck.

Replace mcb with a 32 amp then? What about rcd issue, rcd side of cu is full!

DON'T REPLACE IT WITH A 32A MCB. YOU COULD OVERLOAD THE CABLE. ONLY 32A ON A 6MM CABLE OR A RING MAIN. NOT A RADIAL CIRCUIT.

Sponsored Links
crea said:
Replace mcb with a 32 amp then? What about rcd issue, rcd side of cu is full!
No. If you use a 32A MCB you MUST have 4mm or greater cable.

And all sockets that could provide power outdoors must be RCD protected. if the RCD side is full, use RCD sockets.

Chad123 said:
DON'T REPLACE IT WITH A 32A MCB. YOU COULD OVERLOAD THE CABLE. ONLY 32A ON A 6MM CABLE OR A RING MAIN. NOT A RADIAL CIRCUIT.

Where are you getting this stuff? Your response in another post made an equally strange suggestion.

Correctly designed and installed radial circuits are fine. What is your obsession with ring circuits?

davy_owen_88 said:
Chad123 said:

Where are you getting this stuff? Your response in another post made an equally strange suggestion.

Correctly designed and installed radial circuits are fine. What is your obsession with ring circuits?
Loopy.

JohnD said:
I like rings.
And these:
MK6936.JPG
:LOL:

Chad123 said:

Ring main? Ring Final Circuit! Ring mains are not found in homes!

32amp MCB would be fine with 4mm cable.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Have decided to drill through wall into kitchen and extend downstairs sockets ring circuit to provide power to 2 x sockets in utility room, seems to be the easiest option.

yes of course there are no problem with radial circuits. But this guy has a boiler on a 16A supply and on about putting in on a 32A mcb. Ok i said 6mm on a 32A, your right in saying 4mm can go on but not commonly used is it.
I think this guy got the general idea, no need to start getting so picky... honestly you lot got nothing better to do???[/u]

Chad123 said:
yes of course there are no problem with radial circuits. But this guy has a boiler on a 16A supply and on about putting in on a 32A mcb. Ok i said 6mm on a 32A, your right in saying 4mm can go on but not commonly used is it.
I think this guy got the general idea, no need to start getting so picky... honestly you lot got nothing better to do???[/u]

4mm radials are quite popular around here actually ;)

Well it is Devon after all... You do things slightly backwards down that way. :LOL:

I wondered where all the 4mm had gone ! Am trying to buy a few metres of 4mm but wherever I go they only sell 1, 1.5, 2.5 or 6mm T&E .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back