Consumer unit wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my home rewired by a so called qualified electrician but I am beginning to have my doubts. He has begun to wire up the consumer unit with the flick switches for the various lights, sockets etc. Some of the wiring enters the box from the underneath coming up from the floorboards and some comes up from the floor boards goes up the outside of the unit and enters in through the top so I've got electrical cables on the outside of the consumer unit just left on there. Is this right, am I supposed to get in all covered with a cupboard or something. Sorry for my lack of technical phrasing but as I said he is supposed to be the qualified one.

Sponsored Links
Take a picture and post it on here, we could do with a laugh.
When he said he was qualified, did he say in what?
What organisation is he a member of?
Make sure he takes his spurs off when he enters your house to save scratching the paintwork.
oh and don't for get to scoop up the manure from his horse, its very good for the roses.

Jane, dont fret, it could be worse, it could look like mine:

(click for bigger picture)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That picture of the DB really annoys me Lol cant believe anyone could be that bad even a DIYer could do better than that!!!

:evil:

Sponsored Links
id be ashamed of myself if my work was anything like that. ive had a few messy boards before, but that was mainly due to length of old cables. new installs i keep it tidy and in some logical order

Have you seen the two black cables going very near the top of the MCB have they connected them using the turned off MCB :eek: !!!!!!!

NuttallsSpark said:
Have you seen the two black cables going very near the top of the MCB have they connected them using the turned off MCB :eek: !!!!!!!

nice.... now what happens when a breaker trips and someone just resets all...

NuttallsSpark said:
i think not . . . they lead down to the 2 cables that enter thru the bottom of the CU. I will be doing something to tidy all this up in the summer when i get around to renewing the supply to the shed with a 32A supply. Will try to get the MCBs in the right order and will run a seperate radial for the fridge freezer, and if i have space, for the air con unit. If only i could get the meter tails out of the way . . . :evil:

fit an isolator on tails? doesnt look like the fuse is sealed at the bottom

Easy :) Move the DB down slightly then take the meter tails out and re-enter above the Main Swiched isolator that will give u more room to tidy them up

Sorry about that post didnt look at your mains photo :oops:

Call your power provider and inform them to upgrade your meter tails then when they come ask them to fit an isolator so you can safely turn off ( May be a small charge)

andy said:
fit an isolator on tails? doesnt look like the fuse is sealed at the bottom
i'm not messing around with the fuse - too many horror stories on here. Will get the DNO out to fit an isolator and upgrade meter tails - they look like a cloth sort of covering on the old ones, the spark we hired just extended them :eek:

If i get an isolator fitted, i will henley in a 40A DP MCB for the shed supply, rather than use the house CU, as with the fridge freezer on the non-rcd side, there wont be space here for the shed supply. dont want it on rcd side at the house for obvious reasons.

But won't you be finding the neutral-> earth fault on your upstairs ring, fixing it, and sticking that circuit on the rcd side? then you'll have room for both the shed and freezer radials on the none rcd side

Adam_151 said:
But won't you be finding the neutral-> earth fault on your upstairs ring, fixing it, and sticking that circuit on the rcd side? then you'll have room for both the shed and freezer radials on the none rcd side

:eek: you remember???? :eek:

this is a good idea . . . but i dont know where to start with fault finding . . . i mean, what could cause this? :(

crafty1289 said:
:eek: you remember???? :eek:

this is a good idea . . . but i dont know where to start with fault
finding . . . i mean, what could cause this? :(

Yeah, my memory is weird, it come in usful sometimes, lol

And fault finding, first look in socket boxes for trapped cables, move onto fixings in prescribed zones, and if you still haven't found anything, then (with the ring disconnected from the board) break the ring down into segments and find which segment it lies on. May as well check ring continuity while you are at it as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back