consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could someone tell me if I have a problem with my consumer unit. When a light bulb blows it usually trips the fuse, but today the main RCD switch tripped which turned all the power off, about a minute later whilst I was looking at the fuses(before switching the RCD back on) there was a flash of light from the box and the light fuse tripped, I switched both the fuse and the RCD back on and all worked OK ( just the light blub needed changing) The question I have is, is this a problem?

Sponsored Links
Hi, Could someone tell me if I have a problem with my consumer unit. When a light bulb blows it usually trips the fuse, but today the main RCD switch tripped which turned all the power off,
Perfectly normal. Circuit breaker, not fuse.

about a minute later whilst I was looking at the fuses(before switching the RCD back on) there was a flash of light from the box and the light fuse tripped,
That's not really possible, unless something is not right, as there would be no power after the RCD trip.
I presume this lighting circuit is protected by the tripped RCD.
Are ALL your circuits covered by RCDs?

I switched both the fuse and the RCD back on and all worked OK ( just the light blub needed changing) The question I have is, is this a problem?
There could be something wrong.

When a lamp (bulb) blows it usually trips the fuse, but today the main RCD switch tripped which turned all the power off, about a minute later whilst I was looking at the fuses(before switching the RCD back on) there was a flash of light from the box and the light fuse tripped, I switched both the fuse and the RCD back on and all worked OK ( just the light blub needed changing) The question I have is, is this a problem?
Are you sure the RCD tripped due to the lamp(bulb) failure? Could just the odd trip they have once in a while.
Are sure these light is protected by the RCD as that seems a little strange, It is not unusual for a lamp blows for the MCB to trip, but if there was no power being generated to the circuit that would very odd. It is a MCB that is tripping the lights?
Whether you have a problem would be hard to say, you descriptions of events and the devices that activated, would lead me to recommended some investigative work was required on the set up you have.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a 16th edition split load - Lighting on the non RCD side, so with the RCD off, the MCB could pop whilst being looked at. Bad timing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back