CONSUMER UNIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built 1970's and I think the wiring is outdated. My consumer unit only has 4 fuses. Lights, sockets, cooker and immersion. It is a plug in fuse type, which has been replaced with retro-fit MCB's.

My question is what would be the benefits of a modern consumer unit compared to what I have. And, also could you Pro's give me a very rough price I might have to pay. ( Obviously being ripped off is a concern )

Cheers, Dom

Sponsored Links
saves changing fuses and putting wrong fuse wire in and burning down your house. id say have it changed. Expect to pay anything between 150 and 350 pounds also this job now under PART P. Also expect to be told your bonding needs updating to 10mm. Beware of the head shakers and unregistered sparks.

RCD protection, (additional protection against electric shock), regs these days require it for where a socket might be used for outdoor stuff * and its advisable to protect all sockets IMHO (except any for dedicated purposes such as fridge freezers, etc)

It looks neater, room for expansion, can handle higher loads (you can have circuits upto 50A, whereas you would be restricted to 32A with the old unit, and newer ones are 100A total, your will be 60A total)

*but there is nothing that forces an upgrade if you don't have the funds

Expect to pay £300 upwards (£300 is if its a straight forward job and there arn't lots of no compliant bits that need sorting first)

Ask the electrical contractor to install type C breakers for lighting providing the earth loop impedance is low enough (and it most likely will be) this stops it tripping out everytime a ****ing lamp fails.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back