Container Compost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the first time I am planting some container plants from Sarah Raven. I have an old galvinised chicken feeder, an old dolly tub and an old bath.

I understand I need to drill holes in the bottom of all of them and use some container compost,possibly Gro Sure Container Compost and nothing else. Just sit back and enjoy. Seems too simply.

But what happens during the winter and next spring ? Do I need to replace the compost with new stuff, add something to it or ignore them and stay relaxed ?

Both Sarah Raven and Gro Sure give no advice at all so do they expect me to bin them and start again in a years time or what ?

Sponsored Links
if it is a peat compost, or peat-free with a peat substitute, dig it out each winter and throw it on your compost heap.

A loam-based John Innes Potting compost will last longer, but you will have to add fertiliser and perhaps trace elements to it each year. Information on John Innes Potting Composts (it is a formula, not a brand) is widely available.

For economy, I fill my bulb pots with a mixture of garden soil and Grobags. They are nutrient-rich at first, but soon get exhausted, so I empty them out and make a new batch each year (if I can be bothered).

It that dig out and throw the compost and the plants as well ? Or do i replant them in new compost ?

depends what they are. A shrub or perennial is not likely to thrive on a peat-based compost. It's adequate for houseplants.

Sponsored Links
Being a beginner I am going for a Sarah Raven Lime Sorbet Pot Collection which is made up of Lupins Petunias and Oasteospermums. Growsure has zero peatin its container compost

Stay relaxed! I've never thrown out or replaced compost in containers outside. It's worth topping up each year, and some liquid seaweed feed is a good idea, as is dilute household liquid activator.

That makes more sense than throwing it all away and starting again every year. I took up gardening to take it easy not spend all day shovelling compost about. Thanks

If bedding plants, I throw everything away and get new ones. For shrubs and plants that come up every year, I just put some additional compost around the top each spring. Make sure you feed your pots regulary, I use miracle grow once a month during the growing seaon (it makes a massive difference).

Thanks for that, lewist100. Nice and straightforward. I have some liquid seaweed concentrate. Never used it yet but is that the same as Miracle Grow ? There are so many different typs of ferilisers (if thats the word) recommended. I just get confused. The same with advice on composts for seeds. potting on. containers etc. When another says use general purpose for the lot !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back