contaminated cold and hot water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered a dead squirel in our cold water tank in our attic on return from a holiday. This resulted to smelly contaminated water running from cold taps supplied from this tank and also all hot water taps. I removed the animal from the water and let the system run through with a lots of fresh water but how can I disinfect the system to ensure safety? What should I do? How can this be done? Or do I need to replace both cold water storage cistern and hot water cylinder to be safe? Please help. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Cleaning uncommissioned systems with statdard chlorination treatment is one thing - removing essence of squirrel is another. I'd contact local Environmental Health.

Was it grey or red?

You should really have a lid on the cistern, or make sure the local squirrels can swim. Best bet may be to drain down both cold tank and cylinder (can be a bit tricky) to minimise residual polluted water, then add bleach (chlorine) in sufficient concentration to kill off any bacteria. Then flush through until the chlorine smell is cleared, then refill to normal. Any residual smell should be of chlorine rather than squirrel.

Sponsored Links
You need a Byelaw 30 kit (as it`s known ) lid and sealed vent/screened overflow ........prob. is getting one to fit properly as a retro.....maybe easier to seal squirells out of roof altogether

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back