Contaminated Land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20:00 Tonight with Trevor McDonald
Linda Duberley reveals the new homes that have been built on contaminated land, creating potentially toxic gardens and putting their owners' health at risk

What is the point of 'council/town planners'? Easy money..
I guess we have such a proliferation of laws and no real desire to carry them through that the whole set up is a bit of a joke.

Not a joke for the families in houses built upon contaminated land .. who is to blame ?
I heard one 'expert' trot out 'Caveat Emptor' another stated that 'the buyer's pack' will need a certificate to verify the acceptability or not of the land itself... Ok, enough certificates to put many off bothering to update or sell ...
Even the blessed deeds drawings (sorry sketches at best) cannot be relied upon, what a load of tripe.
WTF do we pay council and other taxes for?
It surely is their job as experts to know what is where and the implications ... Too simple?
:(

Sponsored Links
We have just completed a barn conversion and as part of the appcliation we had to do a "contaminated land survey" for a 1st floor extension above a lean to. How can they think that the air 8ft above the ground is possibly contaminated having accepted the original application is on a "clean"site. It seemed that the paperwork needed a contaminated land survey so even though application was effectivly in mid air!!!!

I am thinking you would be responsible for any 'clean-up' required, buy the land buy the problems !! CE again.
A fraught business to be sure.
:eek:

Contaminated Land My arse....I know a town where 2 tips used to be...one`s got a block of flats and the other about 10 houses. I wouldn`t live anywhere in that ****hole.commuters love it tho` :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I saw part of the program ... Knock at the door 'do you realise blah blah' Now cannot sell houses - agreed to be worthless at this time ... council not picking up the baton, just ordinary peeps, talk about swimming with sharks .. It can only get worse !!

Unlike a place up North where the council is taking on the clean-up with guesstimates in the ££illions !! Mind you, they are, no doubt, gonna be using southern council tax monies, channelled their way by HMG ;) ;) Therefore we as a nation may as well pick up the bills and look after our own ... :cool:

just brought this up on the New build thread
in Manchester the brown field sites are being redeveloped at such a rate , old gas works ,where the the old deadly used coke dumps are still there , there the builders put a visqueen blue plastic sheet over it an then blind it with MOT stone at a 1m cover ,that is ok apparently to stop the poisonous gases ,which are cancer causing to leak up into properties ....

TRUELY SHOCKING

when I pass sites like this I always think about the old Horror film "Poltergeist".. when the spooks come out for revenge ...lol

Look skyward on a nice clear early morning .. count the vapour trails .. observe over time as they merge into a fog like veil .... never mind the frigging ground under your feet, what about the air over your head !!
The Government has forecast that with its airport expansion the carbon dioxide pollution from aircraft using UK airports is expected to rise to 79,770 tonnes by 2030 (Halcrow Technical Note 'Year 2000 CO2 Forecasts' 6th October 2002)
Using :-
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk/Geography
(Bookmark that begger .. informative with some interesting links..)
That makes :-
1 tonne per 1.15 square miles of the whole UK landmass !! But there is an answer, a trade off, imitation fur coats for all .. no central heating or fires allowed, there we go job done... great for those affording to jet off to warmer climes .. a spin on swinging on the chandelier and whizzing on the crowd ! :D :D :D

empip
wonderful post ... ;)

save me tip tapping one digit ..lol

the joke is ... Britain .. we are adhereing to the kyoto summit , OUR best mates the Yanks .. well .......its been said /shown on a UK Greenpeace board that was indepentantly authorised an seen ..CORRECT

this is what Co2 we in the WHOLE UK make in 6 month now ,is the same as New York City for the same time ...

so are we such the bad guy or is it B,Liar an his EU/UN

CRAVING FOR A EU/UN MEDAL ???

Tis quite frightening .. they had one wake up call.. now a bit of the old weather treatment.. Something must happen soon.
What a situation if the next WW was fought over global warming !! If the Yanks get paranoid enough about it (eventually) they'll go bombing on sight of a polluter ..
Slightly of subject .. I hope the people of the east realise where the disaster help is coming from .. We read of the al Qaedian Bin Laden's wealth.. Not much sight of that dosh for the downtrodden in despair, we live and sometimes learn. ;) ;)

The MASSIVE PR/ADMIN jokes was in the Whitehouse when N/Orleans was a disaster for bush ,
he still thought Kyoto was a nuclear reactor , like Chenobyl ...OMFG
he even started a congression hearing request for Kyoto to pay for the damage this story IS true not a joke...lol

Freddie

I feel for you fella .. we had coke works near us an were told never to hang washing on a thursday as the dio oxions(cancer stuff) were burnt off then ..

In my brown belt local area , our council now say in cluster form they are more deadly than deadly poison , in the ground buried they are more deadly than Asbestos,
on being shown evidience The Greater Manchester Council

turtled in an hired a 1million lawyers ..

any claims are thrown out even cancer deaths over dumps .. as the householder took up lease knowing the business next door ..
even those who didnt know,the new builds ,its sue the builders (who have gone into bump an took half THE MONEY TO SPAIN )

Contaminated Land My a**e....I know a town where 2 tips used to be...one`s got a block of flats and the other about 10 houses. I wouldn`t live anywhere in that ****hole.commuters love it tho

thats most of east sussex nigel!

Moz said:
..........turtled in an hired a 1million lawyers ..

Hopefully gave each of 'em a Number 10 coal shovel and said "Get the f--k on with it snouters !!"

Sponsored Links
Back