Continental radial socket system better than British rings

• Thread starter Doctor Drivel
  • Start date
securespark said:
Methinks DD is talking about RCBO's used on the continent (I've not seen many yet).

Yep. If I was replacing my CU I would fit RCBO's on all circuits. No need for one silly nuisance RCD that trips taking all the house down when a 240V GU3 downlighter blows.

However, in defence of the regs, rings are only one option available to the installer. Radials have always been an option - look in the OSG - indeed, years ago, radials were the norm.

They are now coming back into "fashion".

The idea of having all large appliances having their own RCD (RCBO) at the CU makes a lot of sense.

MEM make a kitchen CU with MCBs with dishwasher etc written on. The idea is to have all the kitchen appliances at one point, say in a cupboard. That can be done at the CU in normal houses.

The radial system is referred to as a low current system. True that the ring can take larger currents, however a radial can take large currents too. Continental appliance are never 3kW like UK appliances, so not much point.

One point that is shouted loud about rings over radials is that the earth has two ways back to the CU, so must be safer. If that is a concern a separate earth cable can be run back to the CU from the last socket on the radial line.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back