Contract matt emulsion problem - vein like effect when dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All

Having a frustrating experience at the minute. Looking for advice please.....

Painting white contract matt emulsion (Leyland from Toolstation) over previous matt emulsion. Having spent a very long time meticulously repairing the walls imperfections, I now find that the finished result after three coats of the white stuff is covered in what looks like veins. This has the appearance of fine cracks in plaster but is proud of the surface.

I am a DIYer but have done plenty of painting over the years with no issues. I've just bought a radial sander (swivel head sanding disc on an extending pole) with the intention of sanding all of the walls flat before painting with a fourth coat. Don't really want to be doing this but the finish betrays the level of fastidious preparation that was done beforehand.

What may have caused this to happen? I don't want a repeat in the next room.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Contract matt on walls?
Guess you were printing over builders contract matt? Consider something better that's a bit better quality with better resins and durable.
Some budget options around that will do better than contract matt.
The better quality paints will be smoother and have better binders plus stick better ect.
I can only guess the contract matt did not take well to whatever was on surface causing the problems

Sponsored Links
I've just been looking at these walls and wondering..... There is a mixture of plastered brick walls and plastered dry lined walls. There are no issues at all with the dry lined walls and every solid brick wall has the poor finish. Can't be a coincidence surely?

Morning.....

Old terraced property. The solid walls have had black mortar removed then rendered with cement render then plaster skim coat (not lime). The problem free walls are dot and dab plasterboard with skim.

Thanks @Wayners for the advice received. I sanded the problem walls flat to get rid of the ripples (made a big mess but hey it's done now). Followed by a couple of coats of the Good Home paint linked above.

It's the first time I've painted walls white. Didn't occur to me that the contract emulsion isn't really suitable for walls. I can see the difference straight away with the Good Home paint. Application, coverage and durability much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back