Contract Matt, Vinyl, Mist coats, primer etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is for a recently skimmed, plasterboard wall and ceiling, in an Kit/Dining/Living, open plan extension.

So, from doing a bit of my own research I now know that Contract Matt is normally only used on fresh plaster, and is breathable so allows the plaster to continue to dry out, but is not breathable or wipeable so is not normally a finish coat.

I had originally planned on using the Cheap(er) Leyland Trade Contract Matt as a mist and base coat, then doing a final coat of Leyland Trade Hardwearing Matt or Acrylic after everything was fully dry. My reasoning was to reduce the amount of more expensive paint.

However, in a Q&A I read, Leyland seem to be effectively saying that there is no point in this because the substrate will still be absorbent and the first coat of the Matt/Acrylic or primer will still need to be thinned down and applied as a base coat, before another two full coats.

My cynical side wonders if this isn't a ploy to sell more of their expensive paint, but I wondered what those who actually do the job think about this?

Sponsored Links
Contract matt as a mist coat will do little for the level of suction in the plaster. You would be better off using standard Leyland Trade matt emulsion as the mist coat. Thin it as per the instructions on the tin. Do not follow the advice from people who suggest a 50/50 mix.

Thanks opps. Sounds like you are saying similar to the Leyland rep, to use the paint that will be the final coat watered down as a mist coat. I suppose I had been thinking more about opacity, that I might need one less coat of the final paint if the wall was already white

I was suggesting that you use the cheaper standard matt as the base coat but not contract matt.

Sponsored Links
Only thing I would ask, is what would you consider the "standard matt"? Leyland Trade have contract matt and super leytex matt, but both of these are breathable/porous so presume neither will seal the wall - the next step up and non breathable seems to be "Vinyl Matt"? Or is there anything else you would recommend.

My final coat will be hardwearing matt or acrylic eggshell, probably the former, and not all that much more expensive than the Vinyl Matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back