Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping you can help as I made a mistake on my painting - I had been using a plaster primer that didn't need diluting for a mist coat. Everyone told me to 'just use Leyland Trade' which I did, but I didn't add the 10% water for the mist coat. Currently I have a base coat (not diluted) on the walls of the dining room and hallway, which I am going to cover with a mist coat. Do you think this will work? However I'm not sure what to do with the living room as I have a base coat of leyland trade (undiluted) and one coat of matt paint on top. I am considering watering down a top coat, then attempting to seal on top. Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
The reasons for an initial mist coat are to satisfy the porosity of the plaster and to avoid just creating a film of paint on the surface. As a full coat of paint has already been applied, a mist coat now would be pretty pointless and may even cause a bigger problem.

Was the Leyland Trade that you used the Contract version or Vinyl Matt/Silk?
Technically, the former would be fine to mist coat over as it is relatively porous, meaning some moisture could still be absorbed by the plaster, but the latter is basically water resistant so the moisture would just evaporate into the air.
The Contract is also the better option for initial mist coating and doesn't necessarily require dilution, although it is generally wise to do so.

Either way, all you can really do now is hope that the paint you have already applied has bonded well and doesn't start peeling at some point in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back