Mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a room skimmed about a month ago and it now looks fully dry, do I really need to do a mist coat with matt paint or can I just paint Dulux vinyl matt straight onto it as its fully dry.

Also if I am doing a mist coat I have bought Dulux Supermatt which I will dilute 3 to 1, is this OK.

People say you need to do a mist coat as its allows the plaster to dry out because matt paint allows it to breathe, but if i'm going to paint vinyl matt over it the next day is there really a point?

Sponsored Links
Virgin plaster is very absorbent & will immediately suck any moisture from the paint. You should always apply a couple of mist coats, any matt emulsion will do, thinned down around 25%. The additional water allows the plaster to suck the moisture & paint into the pores of the plaster which also should never be over polished. If you don’t apply mist coats first, the paint will not adhere to the surface sufficiently & is liable to come off very easily in sheets when decorating in the future; it could even blister & fall off well before that as one or two posters have found out. Do not be tempted to PVA bare plaster before painting, that will only cause other problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back