Controlling central heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like it warm at night, but I do like it warm in the day, so each evening the heating temperature turns down, and each morning it turns up.

However main thermostat is about as central as it can be in the house in the hall between 4 doors, so it gets an average of all rooms if doors left open, but all the radiators are near outside of house, so there is a delay between central heating turning on, and wall thermostat getting warm.

To counter this instead of at 8 am going from 17°C to 20°C it goes in 0.5°C stages 18°C, 18.5°C, 19°C 19.5°C 20°C with hour between each change, so midday before at 20°C. At around 4 pm it drops 0.5°C and at 6 pm back up 0.5°C to ensure boiler is running when the TRV heads change temperature in some rooms.

This works reasonable well, however is not very good in Autumn and Spring as the house has not cooled to 18°C and also when we go out and the geofencing turns down the heating, so on return it tends to over shoot, the main problem is the living room loses heat faster than the hall, so it the heating over shoots, the hall stays warm, but living room cools.

At moment (11:15 am) hall radiator shows 17°C current 20°C target, and hall wall thermostat shows 18.5°C warming to 19°C. The TRV goes to 20°C at 8 am and 17°C at 10 pm, it never seems to attain the set temperature, there is really no point having a programmable TRV head as the radiator rarely heat the hall near to front door (never opened) to a point where the TRV starts to close in mid winter. Only as Spring arrives does it actually start to control the heat.

I also have a problem with boiler, turn the temperature up on the boiler and it tends to lock out, the boiler guy has tried a number of things, but it never fails while he is here, we know it only fails to light when hot, so we have it set cool, however hopefully he will find the problem, it simply every so often fails to light.

So I can't at moment experiment with boiler water temperature, it is always kept low, so what I want to know, is how the temperature of the boiler output effects the control of the house? If turning the temperature up speeds up the transfer of temperature radiator to wall thermostat, then once the boiler is fixed, all will be OK, if not then looking at some thing else, be it a radiator fan, curtains around stairs, or front door, or even leaving door open, wall thermostat is hard wired to boiler, would prefer that, but think you can get cradles to mount it closer and used wireless link, (Nest Gen 3) but two doors next to thermostat, so would mean 8 foot closer to radiator which would mean nearly directly above radiator, which seems wrong.

All is great Mid Winter, if I don't go out, only when I go out so geofencing kicks in, or when central heating is only just required as Summer approaches do I have a problem.

So the question is do I do nothing until boiler fixed, then turn up temperature, or is there another way to get the hall to cool as fast or faster than living room?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back