Convert 2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone understand Spanish wiring?
I have a 2 way dimmer operating 8 12 volt halogen ceiling lights.
I want to remove the 8 halogens and replace the center light with a fan, so I need to replace the 2 way dimmers with conventional switches.

What I don't understand is how these dimmer circuits work.

I have taken some pictures of the switches and how they are wired up.
All the other 2 way circuits are pretty standard, just not these.

Anyone any ideas?
PXL_20240525_094439805.jpg
PXL_20240525_094423462.jpg
PXL_20240525_092615375.jpg
PXL_20240525_100323212.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Does anyone understand Spanish wiring?
I have a 2 way dimmer operating 8 12 volt halogen ceiling lights.
You may mean "I have a dimmer, controlled in/from/at 2 locations, operating 8 12 volt halogen ceiling lights."

The "Dimmer" is shown in
http://www.kadylux.com/index.php?id_product=23&controller=product&id_lang=10
with the "specification" in
http://www.kadylux.com/img/cms/Fichas técnicas/IRC-Dimmersficha.pdf

Without actually trying to translate the Spanish,
I glean that a "push-button" turns the device ON or OFF
and
holding the button ON will cause the light to DIM - with the setting "remembered"

See

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the kadylux diagrams yesterday, but they don't really help, and even with memory, I can't run a fan on that circuit.

It looks like this type of module/circuit doesn't have conventional strappers, so maybe it can't be converted to a standard 2 way.

I might have to just try and split the circuit so can get the fan installed.

You could replace the dimmer with a latching relay that can handle the fan. That needs a neutral, unlike the dimmer, but Spanish wiring should be singles in conduit so you should be able to pull a neutral from the nearest junction box.

Brown from the dimmer goes to the input of the latching relay, grey goes to A1, neutral to A2 and the thicker grey goes to the load terminal. All the wiring and the push buttons stay the same. The setup is quite common on the continent if you‘ve got three or more switch locations because you only need line and momentary switched line at each location. All the buttons are connected in parallel.

You might want a solid state relay, mechanical ones can be a bit noisy when switching. Nothing like being woken up in your bedroom because someone turned on the hallway light with a healthy „clunk“.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a good solution. Would the latch relay replace the kadylux module completely?

Luckily there is a neutral there as the switch is in a cluster with a socket.
Is there any specific type of solid state relay I'd need, as I'd like to also replace the remaining halogens with LEDs, as I can't stand the constant hum when they are on.

Thanks

And yes, the relay simply replaces the dimmer module. Getting everything to fit into the back box might be a bit tricky though.

Sponsored Links
Back