Convert Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I would like to convert our conservatory into a further room in the house and incorporate a new structural opening from the kitchen and lounge. I understand this will require planning permission or building regs and I know I will need to change the roof etc to stop heat loss.
Unfortunately the foundations are not deep enough to convert into an extension so as opposed to knocking it down and rebuilding I wanted to enquire if anyone could advise on another option to convert it ?

I have seen a number of companies that can insulate the existing roof but is that enough to get it through and allow me to open up the space ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Not worth it. Sell your conservatory on ebay - buyer to collect and dismantle, then you can put the cash towards a proper extension. (and save the cost of a couple of skips)
Alternatively, do a knock through and fit some folding patio doors to open up the space for summer use. Whatever you do don't just knock through and leave it open.

At this moment in time your conservatory will be treated as a separate element to your main house. Once you open up the separation between your house your conservatory will then be treated as an extension and therefore you would not be allowed that amount of glazing under the building regulations.

Most conversions of conservatory's to extensions are classed as 'permitted development' and would not require planning permission.

if you just want to replace the roof and not open the rooms then speak to a structural engineer about a steel frame, goal post arrangement.

Options for your original question:

- Remove conservatory and start from scratch

-Underpinning the existing foundations. You will have to build up the brickwork to reduce the glazing anyway.

hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back