Conservatory rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been re-building (literally it seems) my house, past 3 years, with a side, front and roof extension.

We have always had a large-ish patio which I am thinking of converting to a conservatory. The patio is at the back of the house overlooking the garden and spans almost the full width of the house. My conservatory would be about 10 metres wide and 4-5 metres deep. It would be right outside the living room, and I would remove two patio doors so it would appear as a house extension (from the inside). Ideally I would like it to be made all of glass so that I do not lose any light coming into the living room.

Would I need full planning permit for this? Also, if anyone knows, is it possible to meet thermal parameters (U values) with "standard" conservatories (ie those sold by Anglian, Everest etc) ?

Sponsored Links
I have been re-building (literally it seems) my house, past 3 years, with a side, front and roof extension.

We have always had a large-ish patio which I am thinking of converting to a conservatory. The patio is at the back of the house overlooking the garden and spans almost the full width of the house. My conservatory would be about 10 metres wide and 4-5 metres deep. It would be right outside the living room, and I would remove two patio doors so it would appear as a house extension (from the inside). Ideally I would like it to be made all of glass so that I do not lose any light coming into the living room.
Read through some of the building threads - everyone is demolishing conservatories these days (because they are crap in the UK), and you want to build the biggest, winter heat losing/too hot in the summer, building on the planet?

I'd have a re-think, if I were you, particularly in view that your proposals would never get off the ground (BC Reg's legally).

I have just asked my building control to let me know what they think. I have also read some very old threads about needing to keep it separate from the house and then you are OK as far as BC is concerned, by means of a door to separate the house from it, which people then remove...

Conservatorys are complete rubbish, ours is usable for a few months of the year, but sporadically throughout the year when the weather (sun) permits, if it's hot day you cannot sit in there, on a cold day it's like being outside so freezing cold. Removing the door only makes the adjoining room like an ice box in the winter unless you can have the heating on all the time.

Sponsored Links
I have just asked my building control to let me know what they think. I have also read some very old threads about needing to keep it separate from the house and then you are OK as far as BC is concerned, by means of a door to separate the house from it, which people then remove...
People are basically advising NOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
....to a conservatory (UK).

As others have said, a "conservatory" as it is usually understood is not a great idea for all the reasons above. Either plan for a full-spec extension to building regs, or just build a canopy and have it as a covered patio

I will do just that, full planning for a single storey extension to the back of the house with a lot of glass, even on roof. Not sure about the required U values so will have to do some reading.

single storey extension to the back of the house with a lot of glass, even on roof.
You have two options; either keep the glazed area to a maximum 25% of floor area, or produce a SAP calculation to mitigate the additional glazing. The latter can be a pain, but depends on the house.

Anglian and Everest would charge you as much, if not more, as the cost of a full blown extension.
Follow the advice above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back