Permitted Development for Conservatory Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening,

Can someone help me with regards to conservatory size for permitted development. Below is a picture of where i would like to build a conservatory, its next to my neighbours conservatory if that makes a difference? I live in a semi detached house, so am i right in thinking my maximum size out from the back wall of the house is 4 metres but it can only be 3 metres tall because its next to a boundary?

Would you replace that window with a set of patio doors before commencement of the conservatory, or build the conservatory then take the window out?

I have a massive back garden so i don't need to worry about how much land is taken up.
6ycjlx.jpg

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
In a semi, the maximum distance out from the rear wall is 3m to qualify as permitted development. It can be up to 3m high at the eaves, and up to 4m maximum overall height.

(You might be able to go out up to 6m using the neighbour consultation scheme).

In a semi, the maximum distance out from the rear wall is 3m to qualify as permitted development. It can be up to 3m high at the eaves, and up to 4m maximum overall height.

(You might be able to go out up to 6m using the neighbour consultation scheme).

Thanks Tony,

That might explain how my neighbours conservatory goes out over 5 metres, but was built before I moved in. I cant find any planning applications online for it, does anyone know how far back these online searches go?

Thanks

John

Depends on the Councils systems - however a fair few Council's show applications in the last 40-50 years, I would of thought most of them show applications in the last 10 years or so, but I think there's an obligation to make them publicly available.

They should have a record of that neighbourhood consultation scheme the same as the planning application would be recorded. Depending on when it was constructed, there was also different permitted development rules and would be exempt from any action if its been there above 4 years.

Sponsored Links
If it was constructed before 2008, different rules applied. Prior to that time, I think the limit was 50 cubic metres IIRC?

Getting planning permission is cheap and easy - I' always do this now, as neighbours can't keep moaning years after you build it if you have full planning.
Plus, you can do more. e.g. that window - I think under conservatory rule (building regulations) you'll need to keep an external door there? Might be wrong... but, if you go planning, you can take out the window, have a taller roof, put in some proper insulation along boundary walls etc. and make it bigger.

I'd still keep a door, they get very hot/cold and having a door gives options as well as security.

Personally if money allowed, I'd go for bi/tri/quad fold doors which would require a steel afaik

My conservatory is south facing and far too hot mid summer, doors allow the heat to be regulated in the house.

If it was constructed before 2008, different rules applied. Prior to that time, I think the limit was 50 cubic metres IIRC?

Yep. In this situation could just about squeeze a 5m conservatory in under the old legislation probably as the plots don't appear to be incredibly wide.

Getting planning permission is cheap and easy - I' always do this now, as neighbours can't keep moaning years after you build it if you have full planning.
Plus, you can do more. e.g. that window - I think under conservatory rule (building regulations) you'll need to keep an external door there? Might be wrong... but, if you go planning, you can take out the window, have a taller roof, put in some proper insulation along boundary walls etc. and make it bigger.

Neighbours can't moan if you build something under Permitted Development either.. You can have the doors and windows where you want and insulate etc under Permitted , plus I can't imagine you would want to go much higher than 4m with a roof on a conservatory either.

Yes, but to go more than 3m under PD you need to consult the neighbours anyway. If you have a long garden and a slim house, you probably want to go more than 3m.
Maybe chat with them to see how they feel?

Thanks for all the replies, would I have to acquire proper drawings done by an architect to submit for planning permission? Or can I take photos and self draw a basic plan showing the length of the neighbours conservatory and my proposed size? I could always go down the neighbour consultation scheme because I cannot see me now getting permission granted with the size of the neighbours conservatory?

I did mine myself, you can see here.
I used Sweet Home 3D (free) to plan the rooms and then put these on the plans.
I bought a block plan via the Planning Portal website (I submitted my plans through them), it cost about £15 i think.
The only tricky bit was that the planners wanted to see a roof plan, so that took a bit more to do on my interior design software, but didn't take too long.
But, saved a small fortune doing it myself, and got exactly what I wanted, rather than arguing with an architect who thinks he knows best (happened before, and ended up building it a bit different anyway!)

There are probably better bits of software to use, but Sweet Home 3D is very easy, and free.

So, would which way around would you do things? would you build the conservatory 1st, then take the window out and replace with patio doors, or would you replace the doors 1st then build the conservatory?

I built a wooden conservatory years ago, over an aluminium patio door.

later, the door failed so I bought a wooden patio door set to install.

It was a real pig. My conservatory was quite small, but the new patio door ( which was an identical size) was designed to be assembled outside and plugged into a void, not assembled in a room that was close to the size of the frame.
Also, if fitting tri folds or similar, you might need to change the lintel

I have just measured the length of my neighbours conservatory and its 3.8m out from the house, would anybody be able to help me draw a plan for my proposed conservatory to be the same size? I will obviously pay for the plan map online and pay for your time, i just don't know where to start! I have looked at the suggested sites on the neighbourhood consultation scheme for buying the plans and can see you can draw over the top of them, this is the point where i got confused! I would think it would be a quick job for someone in the know :)

Also it says there is no fee for this process, does that mean no fee to my local council as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

would your neighbour have his plans? my house is a semi and we built a 2 walled extension to close off where the garage is shorter than the rest of the house, creating a utility room.
later, I lent the plans to a neighbour who used the same design as the houses were identical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back