How large can a conservatory be under Permitted Development?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is first time post on this forum. I've read the very useful conservatory planning thread but it doesn't seem to answer my main question.

I am planning a conservatory to the rear of my house (in Thanet, Kent) which is a 1950s ex council house that has a small toilet/utility room on the rear of the property which measures about 3m wide by 2m deep. I want to build the conservatory in an L shape round this useful space which although the conservatory comes to well under 30m2 one wall will be about 5m from rear of the house to give us a useful living space.

Would I need planning for this or could I get away with this under Permitted Development?

Sponsored Links
Can you show us a dimensioned drawing of the plan of your property, including garden?

Most likely PD from the sound of it. It would be over 4m though so you would need to submit a prior notification under the temporary rules. This is a sort of scaled down planning app but there is no fee. If it is uncontroversial with neighbours it would be a formality.

These are the only 2 plans I have on my PC, they are more for the kitchen design (I work for Magnet so I get to play with the kitchen design CAD) rather than any detailed plan of the conservatory but they give a good idea of the size and design. The garden is around 20 meters long

Sponsored Links
You're so close to it that for an easy life, I think I would just reduce the length to fall within the 4m threshold. But if you must have the full depth, then yes, go for the Prior Notification procedure.

If the house is not a detached (which is likely to be the case if it is ex-local authority) the normal limit for p.d. will be 3m (or 6m with the prior notification scheme).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back