Permitted Development Beyond Approved Conservatory Footprint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at replacing a conservatory with a room. The conservatory was granted planning permission during the 70s. I am wondering whether permitted development would be allowed from the boundary of the conservatory, or from the original boundary, pre-conservatory? From other conversations I believe the answer is that we will need to stick to 3m from the original boundary if we are replacing the conservatory, but i wanted to see whether that is correct?

Just to add a little more context, the existing conservatory is 3.3m deep, so I assume I would have to re-apply for planning permission to replace the conservatory with a room of the same size?

Thanks in advance,
AshBre

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Let's follow the logic in each case to absurdity. I think you have your answer.

It's going to be the original building, not the conservatory. As @Nakajo says the reason is fairly obvious, if you were allowed to add permitted developments onto anything that got planning permission then you could just cheat the system. It'll be a new request through planning permission.

Sponsored Links
4m for a detached property, 3m on other types of property except flats.

Unless you look at the neighbourhood consultation process for up to double those restrictions.

As said, PD it would be from the original boundary.
I think in London it's still 6 metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back