Boundrys for conservatorys and porchs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories
I cant find anything in the above link that state how far a conservatory must be from a side boundary. I have in the past on many ocastions just build conservatorys right upto the boundary without giving it a second thought. Was this wrong?

For porchs it says "no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway." http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/porch/

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above.

Now something else I spotted and a theoretical question:

Again in the conservatory portal I found this "Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres or be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house."

So assuming the 2m boundary rule from porchs applies to conservatorys (hopefully Im wrong on that) and the "not be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house":

Say you have a terraced house that is 7m wide and the garden only extends 8m to the back fence. Would this mean you could only build a conservatory that is 3m wide and 1m out without planning?
If thats the case I expect most of the conservatorys I have ever seen should have had planning.

Sponsored Links
Again in the conservatory portal I found this "Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres or be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house."

How many porches or conservatories and more than 1 storey?

I think you need to check the interactive guide...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/miniguide

In your example, the conservatory must

not cover more than 50% of the area of land around the original house

if it's within 2m of a boundary, the eaves must be no more than 3m in height (so you CAN build upto the boundary)

must not extend more than 3 or 4m from the rear (attached/detached)

be no more than 4m high

max eaves height should be no higher than eaves of existing house

highest part of conservatory should be no higher than highest part of existing house

It mentions nothing about restricting the rear conservatory width (just the area, depth, height and eaves height if within 2m of the boundary)

For porchs it says "no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway." http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/porch/

That wording from the planning portal site is very badly put. The actual wording from the permitted development rules is;

"it is not permitted development if....;
(c) any part of the (porch) would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway".

That is different from the sloppy wording of the planning portal site.

Assuming, then, your timber rear extenson was a porch, there is no restriction on the distance to the boundary, becaus e that boundary is not contigious with a highway.
However, it would fail the 'porch test' because it is >3 sq.m. in floor area.

There is no restiction on the distance between a conservatory and a boundary. You would need to try and convince the Council that the structure was a conservatory. The original definition of a conservatory in terms of areas of glazing has been dropped in the recent revisions of Part L, so you would have to do some careful research to try and prove that it was in fact a conservatory.

Say you have a terraced house that is 7m wide and the garden only extends 8m to the back fence. Would this mean you could only build a conservatory that is 3m wide and 1m out without planning?

No; as rjm2k pointed out, that only applies to two-storey rear extensions.
There is no limit as to how near a conservatory can go to the rear boundary, as long as it does not extend >3m/4m from the rear of the house.

It also doesn't have to be >2m from the side boundary; it can go right up to it.

Sponsored Links
Permitted development wise it makes no difference if its a conservatory or an extension - same rules apply. A conservatory is however exempt from building regulations assuming:
1. Less than 30 sqm
2. You keep an external door between conservatory and house (ie is is not open into the house)
3. Glazing & electrics still to Building Reg standard.
4. Don't think you are supposed to heat it but I'm sure no one will notice if you do.

It is a conservatory if the roof is 75% min glass and the external walls are 50% min glass

jamesr36";p="2693731 said:
4. Don't think you are supposed to heat it but I'm sure no one will notice if you do.

[/quote

You can but the heating system must be separate from the house system
(eg electric rad.).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back