When is a extension not a extension ? Conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’ve been reading up about permitted development , conservatories etc and what you need planning and regulations for

Our next project will be tackling the back of our house due to a manhole we can only build out 2x3 metres which doesn’t seem a lot but our kitchen is small so will make so much difference

I’ve read you don’t need planning / regs etc for a conservatory is this correct? However if I remove the back door to make it open plan I will need building regs etc… now here’s where I’m confused, our back door will be staying but we wanted to remove the kitchen window into the conservatory where would I stand with this ?
Many thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
What you describe is either a porch or an extension. A porch does not require a building regs application as long you retain the original door and do not extend the main heating into the porch. There is no specific regulation about removing a window into the porch, although the spirit of the regulation is to prevent excessive heat loss through the new porch, so it could be argued that removing the window certainly isn't what the regulation intended. If it's not a porch, it is an extension.

Even though you do not have to make a building regs application, you must still comply with certain regulations. Glazing and Electrical, for example.

You must always comply with planning rules, whether a porch or extension. Both can usually be accommodated under permitted development allowances, but you should check your local plan.

Hi Jeds,

The 3x2 size of a porch would need building regs and planning as it’s too big to be a permitted development. It’s just really confusing re the window as it doesn’t state anything thanks

Thanks
Jake

Hi Jeds,

The 3x2 size of a porch would need building regs and planning as it’s too big to be a permitted development. It’s just really confusing re the window as it doesn’t state anything thanks

Thanks
Jake
No, you are misunderstanding. For building regulations, a porch can be anything up to 30m². For planning; the porch you mention is specifically for PD on the front of a house. On the rear (or side) of a house you would be restricted by dimensions set out by the PD rules for your house - either 3m deep or 4m deep.

PS. Contrary to what I said earlier, the regulations do specifically restrict removing a window. So, to class as a porch, the window must stay.

Sponsored Links
Re door and windows and porch, as I understand it the requirement is "separation" from the main house and that is often cited as keeping the external grade front door, however the same thing would apply regarding keeping an external grade window or anything else that maintains separation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back