Convert garage door from counterweight to spring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our garage door is an old up-and-over door using counterweights. I'd like to convert this to use springs - preferably torsion springs, but will fall back on extension springs if need be. The latter seem to be very easily available and cheap and easy to install, but I'm getting frustrated with trying to find a torsion spring system online, without having to buy the entire door with it. I can find plenty of references on how to do the conversion, but no help on where to actually buy the bar, drums, brackets etc (springs are aplenty).

The door and rails do not need replacing.

Can anyone recommend an online seller for these, or a retailer in the Maidstone area?

Thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links
You must be a very competent Diy'er to be thinking of attempting that. I have fitted and repaired hundreds of garage doors but wouldn't even consider attempting that conversion. (To be fair I haven't watched the videos but it sounds like a complete ball-ache of a job)

For the sake of £300 or so why not just get a whole new door? Or splurge a little and get an electric one for a couple of hundred extra.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back