king garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

has anyone got experience to share on garage doors.

what it is i have been renovating my garage by removing flat roof and replacing it with onduline corrugated bitumen one and brickin up a old window that isnt needed, however i do have a garage door that is some what defunkt.
i called out a repair guy as im only a adult student mechanic and knew very little about garage doors
the guy said its a king door who is said to have gone bust so parts would be difficult to locate(not true parts are plentifull) he said he could replace the cones and cable for £150 + vat and recomended work on the wooden frame which was rotten at a added rate of £250( the wood cost me £8 to replace to the top cross member section)

he went on to try to sell me a new door and frame for 550 quide for up and over verticle door 7x7 but didnt stop there...he then went on to try and sell me a sectional insulated garage door for £1000.00....my garage is detached and dont need insulation!!
but wait he didnt stop there neither he thought he got me for the door showing me picture from a brochure..he then went on to try to sell me a sectional insulated door with a second hand electric motor for a woppin £1350 cash no receipt so vat man dont know nothing he said.

either way i took the mfr name from the brochure...tenkerupt or somert like that in warrington..i look at websites and found the parts he said he would replace for £150+ vat for a staggering £15.00 yep 15 quid so i looked on ebay to find the same parts for 12 quid along with motors for 100 quid and so fourth.

so i can order parts no problem..the problem is

the garage door fell off some years ago..the spring came away from teh cross member the rollers came out of the runners and the cable went loose.

today i replaced teh rotten timber cross section reconected and tensioned the spring by hand rotation after releasing the two alan key grub screws located to the left of the spring end. ive moved the rollers out by one sections to keep the not so nice rollers in location of the runners.

after tensioning the spring as much as i could by hand the right hand cable to the roller was slack and the left taught. i examined the cable to find the cable to the right hand side had been repaired in the past using electic cable block connector which holds the cable fine so ive adjusted the cable which was longer than that of the left hand side.

so ive opened the garage door roller stayed in runner however door opened tilted and wouldnt stay up it just wanted to keep falling to closed possition again, when opening hte door catches on teh frame arm also but it looks like the gap can be extended by using washers

can anyone advise me as to best way to get the door to open correctly and safely cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back