Convert oil filled central heating to gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert an oil filled central heating system to gas and use the existing pipe work or would the pipe work also need to be replaced.

I have been told this can be done and I assume it would need to be power flushed or such like but can anyone clarify?

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert... but we changed over from gas to oil a few years back, needed new pipework from the oil tank to the new gas boiler but all the pipework from the boiler to rads, tank etc were ok and didnt need changing.

Just need CORGI in to do it. C/H is the same whatever rads /hot water cylinder you have. Take it you have gas to your property :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for the advise, yes there is gas to the property, just wanted to try and clarify how much this would cost and if having to replace the whole of the pipe work then this would drastically increase the cost.

Cheers

Craig

Sponsored Links
If your heating system is filled with oil, there is probably no corrosion, and so no need for a powerflush. ;)

cfrayne wrote

Hi can anyone tell me if it is possible to convert an oil filled central heating system .

Never heard tell of an oil filled central heating system. Can you explain better ?

Do you mean "Oil filled" or "Oil fired", they are both very different methods of heating. Oil filled radiators are stand alone heaters filled with viscous oil which are heated for a predetermined period by an electric heating element in the base. In the UK, they would be heated overnight using a seperately metered supply connected only to these heaters and known as "Economy 7" because they use cheaper off-peak electricity available for up to 7 hours maximum per night. The heat is then disipated over a period of 12-15 hours. The downside to this kind of heating is that it is not very controllable. Once heated, the oil will continue to disipate heat whether you need it or not.

"Oil fired" heating is a "wet" central heating system basically the same as "Gas fired" systems except you need to have a large storage tank for the oil and suitable access for the delivery tanker. Oil fired boilers are commonly used in rural parts of the UK that do not have mains gas. As far as I'm aware, gas is generally cheaper than oil, but I guess a lot depends on your location and the prices charges by the various oil/gas suppliers.

oilman wrote

If your heating system is filled with oil, there is probably no corrosion, and so no need for a powerflush.

Whoa there oilman. Are you suggesting oil is circulated through a radiator system ?.

If its an old oil fired heating system that is a gravity primary, pumped heating type then you will have to have the system changed to fully pumped, new electronic controls and possibly thermostatic rad valves if you do not have them already. You may also need a new H/W cylinder as well if yours is old and only has a red jacket around it.

The powerflush at the end could open up a leak in an existing rad if corroded internally but quite rare that this happens.

Hi, oilman, yes sorry, you are correct I mean oil fired, thanks for the advise.

Craig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back