Converted Loft, making floor bigger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a converted bungalow with a dormer room at one and and a large bedroom at the back. The walls are about 5 foot high, and we are considering moving them back into the eaves to increase the floor area as we are going to split the large room into two smaller rooms.

The wall is a studwall construction with the roof resting on it (wedges cut from the roof beams) - would it be advisable to get a structural engineer or is this something a builder can do easily enough? The plan would be to double up the joists/beams of the roof where the wedge has been cut from them. Roof is concrete tile.

For a wall of this type measuring 3 metres length, what would be a reasonable ballpark cost? There are power sockets, but no rad.

Sorry if wrong forum, wasn't sure if this is more of a woodwork question.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Get a stucture enginer in that stud wall could be holding up the middle span of the roof best be safe that sorry

Thanks. It won't be holding up the middle span on the roof but I see what you mean, it could be holding up part of the slope

Two builder's who've looked at it have said it will be fine but as you say, i think better safe than sorry. We also want to remove a stud wall upstairs, and that could definitely be structural.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back