Converting a summerhouse into a bedroom...

Given current offers, I find it very hard to believe that polystyrene is anywhere near the price of fibre-wool.

I would bet you can get 100 mm of fibre-wool cheaper than 50 mm of polystyrene. You then have the option of leaving it as 100 mm and having better insulation or compressing it to 50 mm under the boards, giving you only half thermal insulation value but better acoustic insulation.

Edit

Have just read your last post. You may not yet have been around long enough to experience the phenomenon whereby temporary solutions very often evolve into permanent ones through lack of time/money/energy/interest etc etc etc :D

Sponsored Links
You asked about floor insulation. I used cheap carpet with good quality underlay below. Cheap carpet because its going to have sawdust and possibly solder falling on it.

Given current offers, I find it very hard to believe that polystyrene is anywhere near the price of fibre-wool.

I would bet you can get 100 mm of fibre-wool cheaper than 50 mm of polystyrene. You then have the option of leaving it as 100 mm and having better insulation or compressing it to 50 mm , giving you only half thermal insulation value but better acoustic insulation.

I've seen some great offers for fibre wool (buy 1 get 3 free) but I was thinking I'd have to buy more wood as well to make the frames to support it because I'd read that once you've compressed it, it loses most of its insulation value because there's less air between the fibres?

I'd read that once you've compressed it, it loses most of its insulation value because there's less air between the fibres?

Isn't that what I have just said ???

If you compress it, you get (roughly speaking) the value of the compressed thickness .

Sponsored Links
You asked about floor insulation. I used cheap carpet with good quality underlay below. Cheap carpet because its going to have sawdust and possibly solder falling on it.

Ah OK, I was thinking of getting cheap carpet and laying it straight on the polystyrene, but then the polystyrene would probably end up being compressed and uneven as I walk on it and from the weight of my furniture.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to carpet underlay that might do the job?

This'd keep you nice and toasty:

straight-jacket1.jpg

Isn't that what I have just said ???

If you compress it, you get (roughly speaking) the value of the compressed thickness .

Sorry I should have worded that better...
I thought it'd lose more than the value of the compressed thickness, though I don't know how that would compare to polystyrene of the same depth anyway. If it'd provide roughly the same level of insulation then that's the way I'll go

Hehe, well not as crazy as others have been but you know how to take a joke unlike some other newbies on here! ;)

If you are going to lay polystyrene on the floor then you need something rigid beween it and the carpet. 12mm chipboard at the very least. 18mm would be better.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I'm advocating the whole idea.

Robert9999 said it was alright

Mutley_laughing.gif

NO, I am NOT saying it is all right.

To Gazzab,
I now regret answering your questions. I originallly had in mind that you wanted to use the summerhouse occasionally for perhaps a night or two when you had visitors using your room. As a semi-permanent arrangement it is NOT ON.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back