Converting a Two-Way Light Fitting to One-Way

I assumed as the wires came out of the ceiling it was a pull switch, so apologies for that.

It wasn't then - it was 2 gang switch on a wall, I presume.

My instinct is that the 3 core cable (red, yellow, blue) doesn't contain neutral and is the other part of the 2 way switching for the main light - but since you say you connected a bulb to it and it was a full brightness this may not be the case.

IN SHORT YOU NEED A TEST METER TO TEST THE WIRING PROPERLY.

Since you say the two 2 core cables (red, black) have to be connected to make the other rooms, it may be the case this soley fed the wardrobe switch, and a cable from the switch to the wardrobe light may have been removed.

The 3 core cable is the one that needs researching first, because I'm not convinced your test lamp was at full brightness. My instinct is that the two way switches for just the main light had a single 3 core cable at each one (so a joint or junction box somewhere, shouldn't need to find it if inaccessible). The question is is there a neutral on that 3 core cable - I really wouldn't have thought so, but how can we tell.

I think I know how to solve this problem, but until some tests are performed I can't be certain.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back