two way light with ceiling dimmer - im clueless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I'm trying to fit a ceiling dimmer switch to an existing ceiling switch. The light is a two light. The wall switch has a three core and earth with red to top connection, yellow to bottom left and blue to bottom right. On the ceiling switch there are two red wires (live and earth from light) and the wires from the three core and earth switch cable. What wires go where? The dimmer has the following terminals:
L down -------------- (in) ------------ N down
---------------------------------------------------- E
~>(a squiggle) -------- (load) --------- N down

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Doesnt sound to me that your dimmer switch is capable of two way switching. Did you get any instructions with it? Whats the make and model?

From a previous post on this forum (if I remember) the two N connections are there for convenience (eg if the live and neutral connections both go to the switch. This means your switch only has a live in and a feed out to the lamp (the ~) and only suitable for simple one way switching.
A 2-way capable switch should have three terminals (usually marked C, L1 & L2 or L1, L2 and L3).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back