Dimmer swtich wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Would anyone be able to advise please on wiring a dimmer switch. The instructions that came with switch are rubbish, and no qualified electrician seems interested because the job is too small.

I have a dimmer with three terminals, operating three sets of lights. The terminals each have three connectors - L1, L2, and the squiggle.

There are two electrical cables. One cable has a red, blue, yellow and earth wire. The second has just red, blue and yellow.

If anyone can think how these wires should be hooked up, I'd really like your help as I've already pulled out too much of my hair!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Would anyone be able to advise please on wiring a dimmer switch. The instructions that came with switch are rubbish, and no qualified electrician seems interested because the job is too small.

I have a dimmer with three terminals, operating three sets of lights. The terminals each have three connectors - L1, L2, and the squiggle.

I'm confused. I think when you say terminals, you actually mean gangs, and when you say connectors, you mean terminals.

So, if that's correct, what you actually have is a 3 gang 2-way dimmer.

As you've already pulled all the wires out, unless you've noted where the went in the old switch, I'm afraid you're a little stuffed. Do you have any electrical test equipment?

have you removed the previous switcu already????

the dimmer will be wired the same as the old switch, with the cables that were in L1 and L2 the same, and the cable in terminal C or Common will go in your 'squiggle' terminal.

If you have removed the switch already then you are going to need a good multi meter and a good understanding of lighting circuits and two way switching

Sponsored Links
Matthew & 1John

Many thanks for the quick replies. Yes, you're right about my confusion over terminology.

I noted down the way the previous wiring was set up, but I must have made a mistake because the lights don't work.

Don't have multi-meter, though the ones in Homebase are not expensive if you think it's worth buying one.

I do have power in the live wires - have tested with a simply voltage tester (the screwdriver type).

Russ

Is one (or more) of the switches supposed to be 2 way (ie with another switch at the other end of the room)?

Were any short links of red wire used between any of the terminals?

Any wires joined in connector blocks?

Can you send photos of the switch wiring, and anything relevent, and also a copy of your (possibly wrong) drawing?

Is one (or more) of the switches supposed to be 2 way (ie with another switch at the other end of the room)?

Were any short links of red wire used between any of the terminals?

Any wires joined in connector blocks?

Can you send photos of the switch wiring, and anything relevent, and also a copy of your (possibly wrong) drawing?

Hi Sparkwright - I've got problems uploading photos. Have you an email address? I'm on [email protected], and could send them. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back