Dimmer Switch problem - 3 Wires and only two connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm hoping this will be an easy question for the electrics of mind.

I have just bought a standard dimmer (no push on/off) to replace a dimmer that did have a push on/off.

The old dimmer had three connectors L1, L2 and com (funny looking x). Red wire into L1, Blue wire with red sleeve into L2 and Yellow wire with red sleeve in to com (x). There is also an earth wire that has been blocked off.

Now the new dimmer only has two connectors on the back L2 and the funny looking x.

So my obvious question is how do i put three wires in to two connectors????

The dimmer is located in the lounge with a normal switch opposite.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Jason

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the old one had 3 connections as it was a 2 way switch i.e. there will be a normal switch as well as the dimmer switch to operate the light. If you want to keep this setup then you'll need to buy a 2 way dimmer switch.

Spark123 said:
It sounds like the old one had 3 connections as it was a 2 way switch i.e. there will be a normal switch as well as the dimmer switch to operate the light. If you want to keep this setup then you'll need to buy a 2 way dimmer switch.

The old one was just a dimmer but you could push it for on and off, there was no normal push switch next to it.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
No other switch at the opposite end of the room?

Yes normal switch on other side of the room. Ahh I see what you mean. Back to the shop it is then. Should be able to get there before they shut at eight. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back