Double dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0031.jpeg
Hello
I have looked at other posts about dimmer switches but I am still a little unsure about my specific situation.
I have removed an ordinary double switch in order to replace it with a double dimmer. These control two separate lights and are not 2 way.
I have attached a picture of the previous switch. It is wired like this.
top - L1 - Red, L2 - Black red sleeving
bottom, L3 Black, L1 Red.

I hoped to just copy but the new dimmer has L1, L2 and Com connectors. I have read that these are now different to that above.

Can anyone tell me where those 4 wires should connect on the two switches ion my dimmer?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes different things have different markings.

Do it like this

switch>>>>>>>> Dimmer

L1 >>>>>>>> Com
L2 >>>>>>> L1 or L2 it doesnt matter

Sponsored Links
IMG_0037.jpg
I see. I think. So here is a pic of the new switch. As far as I understand the left switch in your diagram would mean that the red goes to com and the Black to L2 of the left new switch and the right of the diagram goes to Black/red to L2 and Red to Com. Hope that makes sense. Just trying to get my head around it.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 45
OK, Great, Thanks for that. Now that It has been mentioned I can see the diagonal line on the old switch.

Thanks for this Advice from you both Really helpful.

Jamie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back