changed exsisting dimmers need help on one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had four wall lights controlled by two double dimmer switches one at each end of the room, we have done away with one wall light whilst decorating ( wires left in block connector and sealed.

One double dimmer rewired like for like with no problems. The single dimmer however I want to put in place of the redunant double I cannot work out how to proceed

Earth wire, one red, one blue with red tag, one yellow with red tag - single dimmer has connections for earth, L2 , L1 and ~ please help

Both double dimmer were wired red L2 with link wire to other L2 with blue and yellow from the other two com ~

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
First - the removed light. You can't just remove a light, join the cables and plaster over them. You have live wires running through your wall with no indication they're there - that's a recipe fpr someone, sometime, putting a nail through it and experiencing, first hand, the effect of electricity on the human body! Secondly, if there are terminal block connections, they must be accessible for checking, and they can become loose in time.

Secondly, why is the second double dimmer redundant? How many lights were running off the second way of the switch? Just connecting out one of the wall lights won't, in itself, remove the need for the second 2 way switch if this installation had 2 lights off each way.

Four wall lights originally, a double dimmer swith at each end of the room, so a seperate control for each light.

The light we have done away with has a black, red and earth in the wall in a terminal block too which the removed light was attached. We are decorating but have not buried this or plastered over it we are in the process of trying to gain help here to execute the job correctly and put electrical tape around it also.

The reason the other double dimmer is redundant is because we only need to control one light from this point instead of two so a single switch has been purchased.

Any answers and advice on how to proceed would be appreciated, thank you.

From what you say, each of your 2 way dimmers has one live feed coming in, this is then linked across to the other way of the 2 way dimmer to provide the live feed for that light. The Blue and yellows from both the coms (~) is the live feed out to each light. Go to the light you wish to remove and look to see what colour (blue or yellow) brings the power to that light. If you leave that colour disconnected at the new single switch, you should find that the feed to that light is no longer live. The other of the Blue and Yellow at that swith should be connected to the com of the new dimmer.

To confirm this, tell me what wires you have found at the site of the removed light.

Sponsored Links
To cofuse things further all the wall lights have a single black, single red and central earth wire, the red was to the live on all the previous lights.

I had presumed the same as you mention in you last communication, based on the connections of the new single dimmer what do you suggest I might try. Your help is appreciated.

Find the Junction Box, is the best advice I can give. It must be there somewhere in the ceiling/underfloor void. Any alteration you make is best made from there.

Your help is appreciate, the house had a total rewire three years ago before we purchased from the council. The ceiling rose at each end supports ceiling fans with lights which I have just connected like for like but with new fans and lights.

The boxes on the wall at each end were used originally as the switches fore these ceiling roses, but took on the roll as dimmers for the wall lights.

There are tapped redunant wire in the rear of each box that I guess went to the roses.

I cannot find any junctions and have tried both the yellow and blues to the new single dimmer with red to L2 nothing works either way. Neighbour is sparky away for two weeks so unless you can help further I guess I will wait, baffled.

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back