converting house to flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a large 3 bed victorian terrace that i am converting into 2 flats (ground floor & first floor). House has gas central heating. Plan is to use existing gas combi boiler to fuel ground floor flat. i am unsure best / cheapest option for first floor. my 2 ideas are
1) get a gas combi boiler. i know that i need the gas supplier to split supply and fit a meter (any idea on cost?)
2) save money by not getting gas, but using an electric boiler to power water and central heating. Not sure whether to get electric combi or a water tank system

what can anyone advise or suggest on this?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you intending to rent both flats, keeping the building and being the Landlord, or selling each flat as separate units.

If renting, how about supplying hot water and central heating to both flats off one boiler, proportioning the gas costs within the monthly rent you will charge. This way you have only one system to maintain.

If separate units then a new, small gas combi unit in the upper flat, as downstairs.

British Gas in the old days would cut you a deal (gas supply and meter) if they think you would go all electric, don't suppose they give a t**s now.

Sorry guys but you have given the wrong advice for the cheapest option. Don’t put heating in at all and find ignorant tenant with lots of money, and let THEM pay for the installation if they are cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back