Converting loft for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Yep this is another Loft conversion for storage post, im just looking for some advice in boarding out the loft and whether my plan would be suitable.

So i live in 3 bed terraced house about 100 year old and on the 5th am having a loft hatch and ladder installed, after which i plan to floor the loft for storing the usual junk.

From researching and reading here in the forum, iv'e decided to cross batten using 2x4 timber.

However had a few questions I couldn't find an answer for:

1. how far apart should the cross battens be? I read 600mm from centre, but loft boards are 1220mm long and normally rest on three beams which would be nearer 400mm.

2. Will one layer of cross batten be enough?

3. How would you fasten these to current Joists in the roof?

I researched heavily into using the board insulation then chipboard flooring on-top however this looked to be very cost prohibitive, also the one that most recommend ECO Space Board is now discontinued. Alternatives were very costly.

Ive also used the Diall loft stilts before in a previous loft these worked well and provided a stable platform however i spent around 200pound on stilts and only managed to board out a fairly small area.

My loft is just over the 60sqm mark, and the cross battening and rock wool insulation appears to be the cheaper option.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back