Loft stilts and board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I wonder if I can get some advice (or instruction!) please.

I need to board out my loft, purely for storage, but I've fallen at the first hurdle.

I've bought some loft stilts (Diall loft storage stilts) to raise the boards above the insulation and 18mm T&G board from B&Q but I have a question regarding the direction of the boards. I understand that the boards should be laid at 90 degrees to the joists, but by doing so the boards over hangs the end stilts (using a total of 6)by around 200mm.

However, if I lay the boards in the same direction as the joists run I can support the weight of one board across a total of 8 risers - one at each corner and and two more evenly distanced on each side.

My questions are:
a) is 200mm unsupported board OK?
b) should I cut each board to length so that they finish in the centre of the end stilts?
c) as the board will be screwed to the stilts rather than directly to the joists does it matter which direction the boards are laid?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back