Loft ladder and stilt loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. About to start flooring my loft with stilts as insulation is high. I'm not sure what to do with the loft ladder and how to fit it. From what I have seen loft ladders are attached to the hatch frame and also the loft floor. If I have stilts throughout the ladder won't fit to the elevated floor. I was thinking of removing 1 of 2 layers of insulation where the ladder would sit inside the loft (about 1 metres worth),board onto the joists and attch the loft ladder to that. Then when you climb up the ladder you would step onto the lower section then step up to the stilted section. Would that work? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes,you have to create a secure landing area for the ladder and yourself so screw chipboard down from hatch opening as you have mentioned.

Loft Stilts, call me old fashioned but I don't like them,i hate them,i would never use them,when ever I had to go into a loft with these I always think to myself I hope these are safe. well that's my opinion :mad:

i dont like stilts they increase point loading and dont spread the weight

if you have a stilt at 400mm centres with the joists at 400 centres will give you a 580mm unsupported span as its the diagonal unlike cross braced 100x50mm timbers that will give you a 400mm span if they are spaced 400mm apart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back