Cross batten spacing, advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to board my loft for light storage. The loft has 2x4 joists 2 feet apart and lots of cables and pipes runing over the top.

So I dont have to move the cables and pipes I am going to cross batten with 2x2 and lay 8ftx2ft chipboard over the top.

I have read probably every post on here about boarding lofts but can't seem to find any advice on what space should be left between the cross battens.

As I only got 2x2 for the cross batten I was thinking of leaving 2 feet between each one and using 10x3" screws.

Does this sound right?

Many thanks for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
This is just for light storage and safe access to the loft, not a habitable room or anything heavy.

I usually space the battens to suit the size and orientation of the boards. you need at least one batten under each edge, and one in the middle, with a max span of 2' and closer is better

I am not keen on those expensive little loft boards

You might find you can carry an 8x2 ply board up into the loft, it has fewer joints and is a better material than chipboard.

I strongly recommend pre-drilling before driving in the screws, especially through the battens

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have brought chipboard but it's 8x2 pre-treated, Wickes had a special on :)

I was going to put 4 batterns per 8 feet but might try three (one at each end and one in the middle) and see how it goes.

Do you still recommend that I pre-drill if I use an impact driver?

Thanks again.

Russ

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back