loft boards parallel to cross battens?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Been having a search on here but I'm not sure about this and worried I've boarded our loft incorrectly.

I used 3x1 cross battens, at right angles to joists
I spaced the cross battens at 2ft centre to centre and laid 8ftx2ft chipboard along them so that the long (8ft) edge was along the length of the cross battens.

Was this right or are the 8ft boards supposed to be parallel to the joists?

Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
how thick are the boards 406 centers are better as the weight will be less for the same rigidity and strength

They are 18mm thick boards. At the moment the joins along the long edges meet along cross battens, length ways. If I put the cross battens closer together, the boards would be wider than the gap, so would you put extra battens in for where the joins meet as well?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For a floor you would put the boards at right angles to the run of the joists, but for a loft there is little difference as it doesnt need the boards to work with the supporting structure and its all just dead weight.. dont get over concerned unless you are looking to convert the space..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back