Converting one to two gang, two way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a light in my hallway and a light on landing. Light switches at bottom and top of stairs.

The light switch at the bottom is two gang; one switch works an outside light, the other works both the light in hallway and landing.

The switch at the top of the stairs is one gang and works both the light in hallway and landing.

I want to change the downstairs switch to three gang, and the upstairs to two gang, so that I can switch the two lights on/off independently of eachother.

I've installed the new switches, mirroring the existing wiring, such that downstairs I have a three gang switch with two switches operating as per the previous two gang, and the third switch currently unwired. Upstairs, I've installed the two gang but only wired to one switch.

Downstairs
(sorry, it's a bit like spaghetti and hard to photograph - have described underneath)
Switch 1 (outside light)
red wire from right hand grey cable -> Com
red wire from second right grey cable -> L1
red wire from Com to Switch 2 L2
L2 (empty)

Switch 2 (inside lights)
Yellow -> Com
Blue -> L1
Red from left hand grey cable (same as blue/yellow) to L2

Upstairs
Yellow -> Com
Blue -> L2
Red from left grey cable -> L2
Red from bottom left -> L1
Red from right grey cable -> L1

So that's the setup, is anyone able to confirm if/how I can wire up the spare gangs to have the inside lights operating independently?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Not possible without installing additional cables between the switches and possibly elsewhere as well.

Thanks for the reply, feared that might be the case after staring at it for a bit this afternoon.

You appear to have an extra wire.

I don't suppose the outside light only works when the hall and landing lights are on, does it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back