Converting primary heating circuit to sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a system consisting of a condensing boiler and Megaflow which has a heating circuit header tank in the loft.

In order to install a water softener (another thread) I am considering how easy it is to convert the system to a sealed one so that I can be sure that no softened water is used in the heating circuit.

How easy is it to convert to a sealed system? Presumably I need am expansion tank and some means of refilling the system.

Has anyone ever done this and have an idea of the cost? Or is it not worth the bother?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Also, what are the advantages of a sealed system over a vented system? If I can justify spending some money for converting to a sealed system it would make sense - but doing it just to fir a water softener maybe an over-kill.

A problem arises in that I still won't have any "hard" water nearby for a fill loop. Can a seales sytem be filled using a temporary connection such as a garden hose (sorry if it's a stupid question)

I'm not at all convinced that water softeners eat CH systems. I've had then for about 15 years and mine hasn't fallen to bits yet. All they do is put a small amount of Bicarbonate of Soda in the water replacing the calcium salts.

Sentinel even say their X100 is suitable for protecting systems filled with softened water.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back